Eyebrows are the frames for your face. Fabulous brows can really enhance your appearance as well as give you a polished, put-together look. While there are many ways to keep your eyebrows looking clean and maintained (like plucking and waxing), eyebrow threading is a quick and precise way to get the look you want.
What Is Eyebrow Threading?
It may seem like a new trend, but eyebrow threading has been practiced in India and the Middle East for centuries! The technique involves a single strand of cotton thread that is twisted and rolled over unwanted hair to quickly remove it at the follicle.
With eyebrow styles and trends changing all the time, threading is a great way to experiment or just clean up, shape and define. And threading isn’t just for brows – it also works well on your lip, chin and the peach fuzz on the side of your face.
How Does Eyebrow Threading Work?
Can a single piece of thread shape my brows? Seems kind of amazing, right? Here’s a step by step on how it works:
- First, your technician will wash their hands and clean the area that will be threaded with alcohol. When you pull out hairs at the root as in threading, your follicles will be open for a bit, so it’s important to eliminate bacteria.
- Next, you’ll discuss the look and shape you would like for your eyebrows. There is no one-size-fits-all brow! Each person’s eye and face shape is considered before any threading begins. Your technician will use a three-point mapping technique where she will align at your nostril and make three points: inside of the eye, middle of the pupil for your arch and the outside of the eye. Those three points act as a guide for your technician to create your ideal brow shape.
- Then, a loop of thread is doubled and twisted. Many technicians put one end of the string in their mouth so they can use both their hands in threading. But don’t worry, this portion of the string never gets anywhere near your face.
- Your technician will then make quick, precise movements using the thread in a scissor-like motion to remove a few hairs at a time. If there are any remaining stubborn hairs at the end, she will use tweezers to finish up. If needed your technician will also use small scissors on longer hairs to trim and sculpt your brows into their perfect shape. At this time you may also decide that you’d like to tint your eyebrows for a darker look or to cover grays.
- To conclude, your technician will massage aloe vera or other soothing creams into your skin to help close the pores and reduce redness. The whole procedure only takes about 15 minutes!
What Can I Expect After My Eyebrow Threading?
Threading is very gentle on your skin. However if you have sensitive skin, you may experience some slight redness after your appointment. To ease this, you can apply ice, an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or aloe. You should avoid touching or putting makeup on the area for a few hours.
In a week or two, you can do your own brow touch ups with tweezing. However it’s a good idea to come in for a full threading every four to five weeks.
Threading Vs. Waxing – Which Is Best For You?
Both threading and waxing are effective, efficient hair removal techniques that can lead to beautifully shaped brows that last up to six weeks. Which one you choose is a matter of personal preference, but there are a few pros to each.
Just a few hairs at a time can be removed with threading, so there is much more control than with waxing. Threading also provides the most natural look since hair has to be removed more linearly with wax strips.
Unwanted Hair Can Be Any Length
Unlike waxing where you need to wait until your hair is a certain length for the wax to grab hold of, even the shortest hairs can be removed with threading.
When done correctly, technicians work so quickly that your brain barely has time to register any discomfort. Most people describe it as an unusual, but not painful feeling.
No harsh chemicals, pulling or straining your skin. Threading requires just a single piece of thread to lift the hair from the root.
All Over Hair Removal
Unlike threading, waxing can be used to remove hair anywhere on your body. Threading is just for small areas on the face.
Better For Thick, Coarse Hair
Waxing is an excellent choice if you are someone with thick eyebrows.
More Hair Removed At Once (With Slight Discomfort)
If you are extremely sensitive to pain, waxing is like “ripping off the Band-Aid” so to speak – but it’s over quickly.
Eyebrow Threading in Ashburn, VA
Current Salon is your one-stop beauty shop. So of course we offer hair removal, including threading! Learn more and make an appointment.