Along with all the wonderful things that summer brings — the beach, backyard BBQs, ice cream — there are some bummers as well. Sunburns can quickly turn summer fun into a summer fail. They burn (duh), itch, peel, and significantly increase the potential for skin cancer. Those fears should cause anyone to reach for the nearest bottle of sunscreen.
But, how do we know which sunscreen is best and safest to use?
There are SO many different options, all boasting similar safety messages, and long-named ingredients but this can leave our heads spinning when trying to choose.
We’re giving you the scoop on all things sunscreen!
Chemical Vs. Mineral. What’s the Difference?
While both help protect from the damage that UV rays can cause, the way they protect is vastly different.
- Includes FDA-approved chemicals, such as Oxybenzone to help filter UV rays
- Absorbs UV rays so that your skin doesn’t
- Feels super light and spreads easily over the skin due to its oil base
- Includes FDA-approved minerals, such as Zinc Oxide to help reflect UV rays
- Reflects, scatters and absorbs UV rays
- Feels thicker and is less oily, leaving no greasy residue on the skin
- Use an SPF 30-50 broad-spectrum sunscreen for best results
- Avoid the peak UV sun period, typically between 10am-3pm
- Reapply every 1-2 hours (depending on skin tone and proneness to burning)
- Apply it E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E
- Use only FDA-approved sunscreens
Some of Our Faves!
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen – non-greasy, fast-absorbing and light as a cloud!
- Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen – Super hydrating and enriched with colloidal oatmeal to give you all the moisturized goodness.
- Cerave 100% Mineral Sunscreen – Oil-free, paraben-free, AND it contains anti-inflammatory antioxidant, Niacinamide — the powerhouse of mineral sunscreens!
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Super gentle on all skin types and free of irritating chemicals, parabens, and fragrances. And the bottle is actually magic and turns blue when there is UV exposure to remind you when to reapply.
- EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum Facial Sunscreen – Fragrance-free and paraben-free, this lightweight lotion provides powerhouse levels of protection while being light enough to not clog your pores. It’s a win-win!
- M.A.C Prep + Prime Face Protect Lotion SPF50 – This antioxidant-rich lotion goes the distance in protecting skin from broad-spectrum UV rays.
Don’t let sunburnt skin get in the way of your summer plans. Keep sunscreen on hand, and keep your skin protected and looking youthful all summer long!
* Current Salon employees are not affiliated with any products mentioned in this article – nor are we being paid to promote them. We’re just major fans of protecting your skin!