Dry and brittle hair is so 2019.
If you’ve ever wondered why going “low-shampoo” is becoming more popular, you’ve come to the right place! We’re going to break down the “whys” and “hows” of decreasing the frequency of your shampoo so you can give your hair the 2020 TLC it deserves!
When you shampoo your hair – even with more natural products – it strips the natural oils from your scalp. Those oils are there to help your hair health – and stripping the oil only causes your scalp to generate more oil as protection. This can result in a perpetually oily scalp, constantly in need of washing… bringing you into a never-ending cycle.
Your hair – like many beloved introverts – likes to have a lot of alone time. When you stop trying to overcompensate by loading your hair with products, daily shampooing, and excessive use of heat tools, you’ll give your strands a chance to breathe.
How to make the transition:
- Prepare – The transition period will take some time, so it’s essential to stay patient. In general, it takes around six weeks for your hair to get used to a new routine. We recommend gradually increasing the length of time between your shampoos.
- Encourage – Manually distribute excess oil from your scalp by brushing with a wooden hairbrush. The dense bristles will drag the oil to the tips of your hair and help it to absorb into the hair follicles.
- Check your Hair’s Pores – Did you know that your hair has pores? Hair porosity refers to how well hair absorbs and holds moisture. Knowing how porous your hair is will go a long way in helping you make more informed decisions to keep your hair healthier.
- Go Natural – If you feel like your hair needs a refresher, look into more natural alternatives. Diluted apple cider vinegar is a standard go-to to help rinse your hair out without stripping it, as it has the same pH balance as your scalp.
- Consider a dry shampoo – Last longer in between washes by using a dry shampoo to soak up any excess dirt and oils on your scalp. We recommend the Kevin.Murphy Fresh.Hair Dry Cleaning Spray Shampoo which instantly freshens and deodorizes hair back to fresh, bouncy locks. Pick up a bottle the next time you are in the salon.
By giving up daily shampooing, your scalp’s oil production will balance out, your hair will be shinier and healthier, and you’ll be able to go longer between washes (good for you and the environment!) Want to know more? Be sure to ask your stylist during your next visit about the best hair products for you!